If just the words “chill out” irritate you, then chances are you’re experiencing stress or anxiety right now. Stress, leading to anxiety affects more men than you think. Being one of the most common health conditions in Australia, on average 1 in 5 men will experience anxiety at some stage in their lives*.
What you need to ask yourself is, has my stress become unhealthy for me? The fact is that stress and anxiety are damaging physically, psychologically and it’s shortening your life.
It is important to set up your own personal stress management tactics. Keep it simple and don’t let the regime stress you out!
Firstly identify the stress triggers, which can be and not limited to:
- Headaches – Do you keep asking your colleagues for ibuprofen?
- Feeling anxious at work – Do you frequently go out to “grab some fresh air”?
- Increase in cold and flu – Is HR questioning your sick day quota?
- Restless sleep patterns – Are you aimlessly searching Instagram at 2 AM?
- Increasingly frustrated – Is it time to check your frown line?
- Reduced drive – Well??
Secondly, create a wellness routine that is easy and habitual. This is all the stuff you know, but you might need to hear it again:
- Exercise – No matter how busy, tired or hungover you are, get those trainers on your feet.
- Breathe – Learn how to breathe properly. There are plenty of cool apps with breathing exercises.
- Organisation – Plan your week, keep your lists short and stay in control.
- Music – Music can assist or hinder your mood. Choose or create a playlist to calm your mind and body at work and at home.
- Love – Just like exercise, don’t let this one slip. If you’re too stressed to care, then you know you need to get straight into bed and go for it.
- Eat Well – If time is your barrier, then learn to order well. Greens over fats every time.
- Supplements – No matter how good your diet is, you need an assist. Do your research, take the right supplements for you and ensure they are TGA approved to ensure quality. REBOOT is specifically designed to optimise male hormone levels and assist in the relief of stress, mild anxiety and irritability.
So handle your stress, alleviate anxiety and add a few more years to your life.
*Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2008). National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: Summary of Results, 2007. Cat. no. (4326.0). Canberra: ABS.